If you are worried about someone else, there are lots of ways you can help and lots of places to look for support. The Report and Support system has specific information if you are concerned that someone you know is experiencing/has experienced:

Disclosures can come in many forms; it could be something said jokingly, a story that someone starts to tell then stops and says it doesn't matter, or it could be a question.  You are not expected to be a specialist in the above issues, but how someone responds to a disclosure can be an important step in help-seeking. It can take time for a person to decide what they want to do and how they want to move forward. 

What can I do to help?

  • Get immediate help. If the person is in immediate danger, or seriously injured, call 999 (if you are on campus, you can also call the Security emergency number 020 7882 3333).
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere the person feels safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 020 7882 3333 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you.
  • Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you support them.
  • Tell the person you are concerned. If they are not at immediate risk, encourage them to get support and consider helping them to make the initial contact. Remember that the most important thing is to respond in a way that maximises their choice and control over what happens next. You can simply ask them what they need or want. They might not make the same decision you would; however, only they can decide what is best for them.  You can help them explore options, but avoid telling them what they should do.
  • Provide information: Ensure that they are aware of the support pages. Explain that anyone can report a crime to the Police by calling 999 in an emergency, using the non-emergency number 101, or attending any Police station.
  • Take care of yourself. If you’ve heard or seen something distressing, or if you want to speak to somebody about your concerns, there are people and services available to support you. For more information if you are Queen Mary staff please see here. If you are a Queen Mary student please see here.
Queen Mary staff who have received a disclosure from a student, can seek guidance on managing this situation, here.

Queen Mary Support for Students

Report and Support: students can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. They can choose to do this anonymously or they can request support by filling in the form with their contact details.

Advice and Counselling: the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary is available for advice and guidance on further support options and for ongoing support for students. They provide a range of specialist, professional and confidential services to support students with financial, welfare, legal as well as emotional and psychological issues. You can request to be referred to them by completing a report with your contact details or contacting the team directly.

The Students' Union Academic Advice Service: the Students' Union provides a confidential, non-judgemental and free service available to all current Queen Mary Students.  It is independent from the university, so issues discussed with the Academic Advice Service will not appear on your Queen Mary file without your consent.  The Academic Advice Service provides specialist advice and support on academic issues such as concerns about your university experience, the student complaints procedure, appeals, disciplinary hearings, academic misconduct investigations and applications for extenuating circumstances.

Queen Mary Support for Staff

Report and Support: staff can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. They can choose to do this anonymously or they can request support by filling in the form with their contact details.

Staff members should be encouraged to talk to their line managers. Particularly if their work has been/is being affected.

Employee Assistance Programme: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year support

  • Confidential support, which is independent from Queen Mary
  • Accessible via phone, e-mail, instant messaging and website
  • No cost to you
  • Professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area
  • No limit to the number of issues you can get support on
Trade Unions: Queen Mary recognises five campus trade unions: Unite, UCU, Unison, BDA, and BMA. Staff who are members can contact them for support and advice.

Queen Mary Occupational Health: Occupational Health works to promote health in the workplace and forms part of the overall health and safety management system, focusing on the management of work related health risks. This can include the prevention of work related ill health, facilitating rehabilitation after illness and injury, and promoting physical and mental wellbeing. Occupational Health can provide advice signpost staff to appropriate services. Just email: occhealth@qmul.ac.uk


There are two ways you can tell us what happened