Data Protection Privacy Notice for Report and Support Tool
About this notice
How we collect your personal data
This service is provided as a means for the QMUL community to report incidents of bullying and harassment, gender-based violence and hate crime, and you may provide personal data in the course of using the tool. This could include your status, gender, contact details and about the incident you are reporting. This may include special categories of personal data, such as data concerning health, sex life, ethnic origin and data relating to alleged criminal offences. The tool may also collect personal data about other individuals who are witnesses or perpetrators.
How we use your personal data
We will use the information you submit to:
- Help us to identify the best person for you to speak to in relation to your report and support you (where you have provided your contact details);
- Provide the relevant person with your contact details (if you have provided them) and some useful background information that will enable them to understand the nature of your concern or the incident you are reporting;
- Where you have provided your contact details, review your report and take further action if required. For example, an investigation could lead to us carrying out disciplinary action. We will write to you to keep you informed of what we are doing.
- Monitor patterns or trends in data that will be used to inform our proactive and preventative work. When reporting anonymously, we will not ask you for any personal identifiable details, which means that we won’t be able to offer direct advice. We will keep an anonymised record of your report to identify whether there have been/are other similar reports and whether there is a pattern of behaviour or trends that should be addressed through generalised interventions (e.g. training programmes, awareness campaigns, environmental investigations, etc).
- You should refer to the Dignity at Work and Study General Guidance .
The basis for processing your personal data
When you submit information using this service, you consent to QMUL processing this for the purposes set out in this notice. It may also be necessary to process personal data in order to protect the vital interests of you or another individual and because it is necessary to comply with employment law obligations, or is in the substantial public interest and necessary to prevent or detect crime or to prevent dishonesty or malpractice.
We also believe that it is necessary for our legitimate interests to process information relating to incidents affecting the QMUL community in order to address these and fulfil our duty of care at common law.
Who we will share your personal data with
We will only share the information you submit with relevant QMUL staff on a need-to-know basis. There may be instances where we will have to share information with our Safeguarding Officer or possibly the police, or otherwise where we may be required by law. We will not disclose any personal or identifiable information to any other party unless we believe there is a genuine threat to a person's health and safety, in accordance with our statutory duty to protect the welfare of employees or our safeguarding of/duty of care for students.
How long your personal data is kept
Information provided to us through Report and Support will be reviewed for destruction six years from the date the report is made.
Report and Support is annually penetration-tested by an independent CREST-approved technician.
Cookies are small text files placed on a website visitor's computer or device, which identify it to our server. Cookies do not identify individual users, only the computer used. They are widely used in order to make websites work more efficiently, as well as to provide certain information to the owners of the site.
You may delete and block all cookies from this site. Most web browsers allow some control of cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them from your computer, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
We have two main types of cookies, those from Google Analytics and notice display cookies.
Google analytics cookies
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
· _utma - expires after two years
· _utmb - expires after 30 minutes
· _utmc - expires on closing browser
· _utmz - expires after six months
Queen Mary cookie notice display cookies
These signify you have responded to our website's cookie notification banner. If you remove this cookie, the notification will display again.
· QMhasVisited - expires after 1000 days
We embed videos from our YouTube channels using YouTube's privacy-enhanced mode. This mode may set cookies on your computer once you click on the YouTube video player, but YouTube will not store personally-identifiable cookie information for playbacks of embedded videos using the privacy-enhanced mode. To find out more please visit YouTube's embedding videos information page
Our websites may contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please read these policies before you submit any personal data to these third party sites.
Your rights and further information