Immediate support
  • Tell staff or a trusted friend at the venue.
  • Call 999 for emergency services and/or Queen Mary's security team on 020 7882 3333.
  • Consider reporting to the police by calling 999 (emergency) or 101 (non-emergency) - early reporting will help preserve additional evidence (most drugs leave the body within 72h, some as early as 12h).
  •  Ambulance staff or police will be able to conduct testing for spiking incidents; some night venues also offer test kits
Queen Mary support for students
Report and Support:
you can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support by filling in the form with your contact details.  If requesting support, you will be referred to Advice and Counselling. In the case of reporting with contact details and requesting an investigation, a member of the Academic Appeals, Conduct and Complaints team will discuss with you whether your report can be dealt with under the Code of Student Discipline.

However, remember that you do not have to make any formal report to the Police or the University to receive free and confidential support from the Advice and Counselling service at Queen Mary.

Advice and Counselling
: the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary is available for advice and guidance on further support options and for ongoing support for students. They provide a range of specialist, professional and confidential services to support students with financial, welfare, legal as well as emotional and psychological issues. You can request to be referred to them by completing a report with your contact details or contacting the team directly.

Sexual Assault and Harassment Adviser (SAHA): The SAHA is a specialist adviser who provides emotional and practical support to anyone who has been raped, sexually assaulted, or harassed, whether that’s happened recently or in the past. The SAHA can support you whether this happened at University or not, and can also help you to access other available support services.  

The SAHA can support you to explore your options should you wish to report what has happened and can support you through this process if you do choose to go ahead – the decision to report is entirely up to you.  

You do not have to report your experience to the University or to the police to access support from the SAHA. The SAHA will never tell you what to do, but will discuss options available and be led by you.   

To get support from our SAHA you can either: 
  • Make a report on Report and Support 
  • Complete a referral to the Counselling service via MySIS (please click on the Student Services/SEC Online tab at the top and select ‘Submit a request for counselling or mental health advice’)
  • You can also ask your Student Support Officer to refer you  
You don’t need to give long answers; you can also write "I would prefer to talk about this in person", if it is difficult to write about or think about what happened.  
Alternatively, you can also contact the SAHA by email:

External Support Services available
  • Victim Support: free and confidential support to help you deal with your experience, whether or not you report the crime. Also supports witnesses of crime – 0808 168 9111.
  • If you have been sexually assaulted as a result of spiking you can view the external services which are able to provide specialist support here
Queen Mary Support for staff

Report and Support:
you can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support by filling in the form with your contact details.  Your report will be progressed by HR and, in the case of reporting with contact details, a HR Adviser or HR Partner will discuss with you the options for dealing with your report informally or formally, under the grievance policy.

Employee Assistance Programme: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year support

  • Confidential support, which is independent from Queen Mary
  • Accessible via phone, e-mail, instant messaging and website
  • No cost to you
  • Professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area
  • No limit to the number of issues you can get support on
Trade Unions: Queen Mary recognises five campus trade unions: Unite, UCU, Unison, BDA, and BMA. Staff who are members can contact them for support and advice.

Queen Mary Occupational Health: Occupational Health works to promote health in the workplace and forms part of the overall health and safety management system, focusing on the management of work related health risks. This can include the prevention of work related ill health, facilitating rehabilitation after illness and injury, and promoting physical and mental wellbeing. Occupational Health can provide advice signpost staff to appropriate services. Just email:


There are two ways you can tell us what happened