If you are concerned about anyone tracking your use of this or other related sites, then find out how to cover your tracks online.

In an emergency:

Report to A & E: Call 999 and request an ambulance (if you are on campus, you can also call the Security emergency number 020 7882 3333), or attend any hospital A&E department. 

Report to Police: Call 999 or attend any local Police station and you can request to speak to a specially trained Sexual Offences Liaison Officer (SOLO or SOIT).

Specialist support available 

If it is not an emergency, you can speak to your GP/healthcare professional or call the Police non-emergency number 101 or attend any local Police station.

There are also a lot of confidential and independent support organisations that can support you:

  • The Havens: are here to help you if you’ve been raped or sexually assaulted in the past 12 months.
You can call them on 020 3299 6900, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for an initial assessment and they will aim to see you within 90 minutes for an urgent forensic medical examination (FME). 

There are three Havens in London (Camberwell, Whitechapel and Paddington) and these are jointly funded by the NHS and Police. The medical and emotional support services are confidential. They will not tell anyone you’ve contacted or seen them unless you want them to. You can use any of their services without involving the Police. 

The Havens also offer follow-up care, including counselling, tests and treatments.

  • The National Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line: The Support Line is for anyone aged 16+ in England and Wales who has been affected by rape, child sexual abuse, sexual assault, sexual harassment or any other kind of sexual violence or abuse – no matter when or where it happened. This includes people who have experienced something sexual that they didn’t want, didn’t consent to or are feeling confused about, as well as their friends, family or anyone else who is trying to support them. The phone line operates 24/7 - 0808 500 2222. They also have an online chat service available. 
  • The London Survivors Gateway: support to victims and survivors of rape and sexual abuse to access specialist services in London. Free phone – 0808 801 0860.
  • Nia East London Rape Crisis Service: provides free, confidential specialist help for women and girls who have been raped or experienced any other form of sexual violence. Their services are for women of all ages including young women over the age of 14, whatever the assault and whenever it occurred – 0800 160 1036.  Or for other areas of England and Wales, you can find a local Rape Crisis Centre.
  • Solace Rape Crisis: work with women and girls over the age of 13 who have experienced any form of sexual violence at any point in their lives. They have support workers across Central and North London.  Helpline -  0808 8010305, Email -  rapecrisis@solacewomensaid.org 
  • Women and Girls Network: run a helpline that offers free and confidential emotional support for anyone in London, who self identifies as a woman (ages 14+), and has been affected by any form of sexual violence at any time in their lives - 0808 801 0770, Email -  svhelpline@wgn.org.uk
  • Survivors UK: specialist support service for those who identify as male, trans, non-binary, has identified as male in the past, and have experienced sexual violence and/or abuse. They have an online/text/WhatsApp helpline service.
  • Male Survivors' Partnership: Support for male survivors of sexual offences.  Their helpline is available on 0808 800 5005 and there is also a text service and online chat function available via Safeline here.
  • Galop: The LGBT+ Rape and Sexual Abuse Helpline is available Monday – Thursday 10am – 8:30pm, and Friday 10am – 4:30pm. Contact the Helpline by phone (0800 999 5428) or via email help@galop.org.uk.
  • Respond:  Support for people with a learning disability, autism or both who are victims of sexual abuse - 020 7380 8257. 
  • The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC): the UK’s leading national charity offering information and support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse, including physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect – 0808 801 0331 (10am-9pm Monday-Thursday and 10am-6pm on Fridays).
  • The Survivors Trust: The Survivors Trust has 120 member organisations based in the UK & Ireland which provide specialist support for women, men and children who have survived rape, sexual violence or childhood sexual abuse - 0808 801 0818. 

Queen Mary Support for Students

Report and Support:
you can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support by filling in the form with your contact details.  If requesting support, you will be referred to Advice and Counselling. In the case of reporting with contact details and requesting an investigation, a member of the Academic Appeals, Conduct and Complaints team will discuss with you whether your report can be dealt with under the Code of Student Discipline.

Sexual Assault and Harassment Adviser (SAHA): The SAHA is a specialist adviser who provides emotional and practical support to anyone who has been raped, sexually assaulted, or harassed, whether that’s happened recently or in the past. The SAHA can support you whether this happened at University or not, and can also help you to access other available support services.  To find out more about the SAHA please click here

To get support from our SAHA you can either: 
  • Make a report on Report and Support 
  • Complete a referral to the Counselling service via MySIS (please click on the Student Services/SEC Online tab at the top and select ‘Submit a request for counselling or mental health advice’)
  • You can also ask your Student Support Officer to refer you
For Medical Students: If you experience of witness this during a clinical placement this should be reported via Report and Support. Your report will be triaged and referred to the Governance Manager and Student Academic & Pastoral Support Office within the School. Guidance on what SMD will do with such reports and the additional support available can be found on the QMPlus module here.

Advice and Counselling: the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary is available for advice and guidance on further support options and for ongoing support for students. They provide a range of specialist, professional and confidential services to support students with financial, welfare, legal as well as emotional and psychological issues. You can request to be referred to them by completing a report with your contact details or contacting the team directly

Your Student Support Officer: They are your first point of contact in your academic school/institute. They can also arrange support if your studies have been affected, or will be affected, by what has happened. You can also arrange to see your personal tutor or academic adviser in your academic school.

Residential Support: If you are living in Queen Mary accommodation you can talk to the Residential Support team who are there to support all aspects of your wellbeing in halls.

Security: Queen Mary's Security team provide a 24 hour service.

The Students' Union Academic Advice Service: the Students' Union provides a confidential, non-judgemental and free service available to all current Queen Mary Students.  It is independent from the university, so issues discussed with the Academic Advice Service will not appear on your Queen Mary file without your consent.  The Academic Advice Service provides specialist advice and support on academic issues such as concerns about your university experience, the student complaints procedure, appeals, disciplinary hearings, academic misconduct investigations and applications for extenuating circumstances.

Queen Mary Support for Staff

Report and Support: you can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support by filling in the form with your contact details.  Your report will be progressed by HR and, in the case of reporting with contact details, a HR Adviser or HR Partner will discuss with you the options for dealing with your report informally or formally, under the grievance policy.

Employee Assistance Programme: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year support

  • Confidential support, which is independent from Queen Mary
  • Accessible via phone, e-mail, instant messaging and website
  • No cost to you
  • Professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area
  • No limit to the number of issues you can get support on
Trade Unions: Queen Mary recognises five campus trade unions: Unite, UCU, Unison, BDA, and BMA. Staff who are members can contact them for support and advice.

Queen Mary Occupational Health: Occupational Health works to promote health in the workplace and forms part of the overall health and safety management system, focusing on the management of work related health risks. This can include the prevention of work related ill health, facilitating rehabilitation after illness and injury, and promoting physical and mental wellbeing. Occupational Health can provide advice signpost staff to appropriate services. Just email: occhealth@qmul.ac.uk.

Further support

  • Chinese Information and Advice Centre (CIAC): part of the ASCENT consortium to provide linguist and culturally sensitive services to survivors of sexual and domestic violence and abuse – 0300 201 1868.
  • Ashiana: are based in East London and provide support to South Asian, Turkish and Middle Eastern women experiencing domestic violence. They offer advice/advocacy and specialist counselling services, as well as refuge spaces.
  • CrimeStoppers: report anonymously by calling 0800 555 111 or use their online form.
  • DeafHope: domestic and sexual violence service for deaf communities. 
  • Jewish Women’s Aid: specialist service with a helpline and counselling. The helpline is open -
    Monday-Thursday 9.30am-9.30pm, 0808 801 0500
  • Latin American Women’s Rights Service: offers advice, advocacy and practical support to Latin American women who are experiencing or have experienced Domestic Violence, Harmful practices or any other form of violence – 020 7324 9805 or 020 7324 9808.
  • One in Four: specialises in supporting survivors of sexual violence and abuse, and particularly survivors of child sexual abuse and trauma. Counselling, groups, advocacy, and resources and practical exercises for support.
  • Report it to stop it: support to report unwanted sexual behaviour on public transport – text 61016 or call 101.
  • Revenge Porn Helpline: the UK’s only service dedicated to supporting all adults who have been victim of intimate image abuse. They provide free, non-judgmental and confidential advice and support via email and phone – 0345 600 0459 (10.00am-4.00pm Monday to Friday).
  • TUC Advice: information for staff who have experienced sexual harassment at work. 
  • Victim Support: free and confidential support to help you deal with your experience, whether or not you report the crime. Also supports witnesses of crime – 0808 168 9111.
  • Women and Girls Network: specialist gender-based violence counselling in some boroughs (including Tower Hamlets) – 020 7610 4678
This page lists services based in the UK.  If you are working or studying outside of the UK at the moment and would like some guidance finding specialist support services near you, please contact:

There are two ways you can tell us what happened