In an emergency

Report to A & E: call 999 and request an ambulance (if you are on campus, you can also call the Security emergency number 020 7882 3333), or attend any hospital A&E department.

Report to Police: call 999 in an emergency, the Police non-emergency number 101 or attend any local Police station. Or in a non-emergency you can also make a report online.

True Vision: A national scheme supported by all police forces in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland providing information to the public about what hate crime is and the ways you can report it. You can also report hate crimes through the website using the online form.

Citizens Advice have a guide on Reporting a Hate Crime/Hate Incident to the police and the process that follows. 

Specialist support available

  • Tower Hamlets Hate Crime Team:  Hate crime information, advice & signposting service around hate crime to victims and professionals – 020 7364 6120/020 7364 6105 (9.30am 4.30pm, Monday to Friday)
  • CATCH- Communities against Hate: CATCH is a group of charities working to end hate crime. They can provide specialist advice and help to people targeted with violence, abuse or harassment because of their race, religion, disability, sexuality or gender identity. You can report an incident and access support here
  • Tell MAMA: a portal where you may address your concerns and record any incident that you experience as a result of your Muslim faith or someone perceiving you to be Muslim. By using their ‘Submit a Report‘ section, you can describe the details of any abuse suffered, whether verbal or physical, and then add in the location of the attack so that they can effectively map incidents across England. They can also refer you for support through partner agencies if you have been a victim of an Anti-Muslim incident.  Tell MAMA on 0800 456 1226, or via WhatsApp 0734 184 6086
  • The Monitoring Group: Provide an advocacy service for victims of racism. Some of this work is part of the CATCH project, a London-wide Hate crime partnership. We have over 40 years experience of helping people suffering racism in the country, and are one of the leading agencies on tackling race hate crime in the UK. To report an incident click here
  • Community Security Trust (CST) is a charity that supports British Jews who have faced antisemitism.   For anti-semitic incidents you can call CST on 0800 032 3263 or report online.
  • The Chinese Information and Advice Centre in Chinatown, London has a service to support people to report hate crime.  You can drop-in to the service, Monday - Friday 10am - 6pm.  Or call  0300 201 1868 or email 
  • Galop: advice and support to people who have experienced biphobia, homophobia, transphobia, sexual violence or domestic abuse – 0800 999 5428 or email
  • Real disability action against hate crime: Real is a registered third party reporting centre to assist those who’ve experienced disability related hate incidents. They can explain all the reporting options available to you, so you are in control of the choices you make – 020 7001 2177, email
  • Stay Safe East: Stay Safe East is a unique user-led organisation run by disabled people, providing specialist and holistic advocacy and support services to disabled people from diverse communities in London who are victims/survivors of domestic or sexual violence, hate crime, harassment and other forms of abuse. To report an incident please click here. You can also report by phone or sms to 07865340122 or by email
  • StreetSafe | Metropolitan Police: StreetSafe is a service that allows you to report safety concerns in public places, on your way to or back from the campus, without giving the Police your name (anonymously). This includes issues like poorly lit streets, abandoned buildings, or vandalism, as well as instances where you feel unsafe due to someone following or verbally abusing you.

Queen Mary Support for Students
Report and Support: you can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support by filling in the form with your contact details.  In the case of reporting with contact details and requesting an investigation, a member of the Academic Appeals, Conduct and Complaints team will discuss with you whether your report can be dealt with under the Code of Student Discipline. If requesting support, you will be referred to Advice and Counselling. 

For Medical Students: If you experience of witness this during a clinical placement this should be reported via Report and Support. Your report will be triaged and referred to the Governance Manager and Student Academic & Pastoral Support Office within the School. Guidance on what SMD will do with such reports and the additional support available can be found on the QMPlus module here

Advice and Counselling: the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary is available for advice and guidance on further support options and for ongoing support for students. They provide a range of specialist, professional and confidential services to support students with financial, welfare, legal as well as emotional and psychological issues. You can request to be referred to them by completing a report with your contact details or contacting the team directly.

Your Student Support Officer: They are your first point of contact in your academic school/institute. They can also arrange support if your studies have been affected, or will be affected, by what has happened. You can also arrange to see your personal tutor or academic adviser in your academic school.

Residential Support: If you are living in Queen Mary accommodation you can talk to the Residential Support team who are there to support all aspects of your wellbeing in halls.

Security: Queen Mary's Security team provide a 24 hour service.

The Students' Union Academic Advice Service: the Students' Union provides a confidential, non-judgemental and free service available to all current Queen Mary Students.  It is independent from the university, so issues discussed with the Academic Advice Service will not appear on your Queen Mary file without your consent.  The Academic Advice Service provides specialist advice and support on academic issues such as concerns about your university experience, the student complaints procedure, appeals, disciplinary hearings, academic misconduct investigations and applications for extenuating circumstances.

Queen Mary Support for Staff
Report and Support: you can report an incident using the Queen Mary’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support by filling in the form with your contact details.  Your report will be progressed by HR and, in the case of reporting with contact details, a HR Adviser or HR Partner will discuss with you the options for dealing with your report informally or formally, under the grievance policy.  

Employee Assistance Programme: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year support

  • Confidential support, which is independent from Queen Mary
  • Accessible via phone, e-mail, instant messaging and website
  • No cost to you
  • Professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area
  • No limit to the number of issues you can get support on
Trade Unions: Queen Mary recognises five campus trade unions: Unite, UCU, Unison, BDA, and BMA. Staff who are members can contact them for support and advice.

Queen Mary Occupational Health: Occupational Health works to promote health in the workplace and forms part of the overall health and safety management system, focusing on the management of work related health risks. This can include the prevention of work related ill health, facilitating rehabilitation after illness and injury, and promoting physical and mental wellbeing. Occupational Health can provide advice signpost staff to appropriate services. Just email:

This page lists services based in the UK.  If you are working or studying outside of the UK at the moment and would like some guidance finding specialist support services near you, please contact:

There are two ways you can tell us what happened