In an emergency:
Out of hours: 020 7008 1500 (ask for the Global Response Centre)
Specialist support available
- IMECE Women’s Centre: specialist support for Black, Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BMER) women, particularly Turkish, Kurdish and Turkish Cypriot women. Support in Tower Hamlets (and other boroughs) in Ending Harmful Practices: providing specialist intensive 1-1 services on different forms of Harmful Practices such as Forced Marriage, ‘Honour’ Based Violence, Female Genital Mutilation, Dowry related violence, and other forms of Harmful Practices – 020 7354 1359.
- IKWRO: specialist support (including counselling) to Middle Eastern and Afghan women and girls who are at risk of ‘honour’ based violence, forced marriage, child marriage, female genital mutilation and domestic violence - 0207 920 6460 (Mon to Fri 9.30-5.30), For out-of-hours emergencies call: Kurdish / Arabic/English: 07846 275246, Farsi / Dari / English: 07846 310157.
- Karma Nirvana: support for victims of ‘honour’-based violence and forced marriage – 0800 5999 247 (Monday-Friday: 9am - 5pm).
- The Freephone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline: for women experiencing domestic violence, including ‘honour’-based violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf and this can be anonymous: 0808 2000 247.
- Rights of Women have two Family Law Advice Lines for women needing advice on domestic violence, abuse and family law. They also have an Immigration Law Line for women who have experienced gender-based violence and need advice on their immigration status.
Queen Mary Support for Students
For Medical Students: If you experience of witness this during a clinical placement this should be reported via Report and Support. Your report will be triaged and referred to the Governance Manager and Student Academic & Pastoral Support Office within the School. Guidance on what SMD will do with such reports and the additional support available can be found on the QMPlus module here.
Queen Mary Support for Staff
- Confidential support, which is independent from Queen Mary
- Accessible via phone, e-mail, instant messaging and website
- No cost to you
- Professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area
- No limit to the number of issues you can get support on
- Asha: a South Asian organisation that works to end violence against women and girls. Can offer confidential advice and information to any South Asian woman who is experiencing violence, or is worried about someone they know. They also offer secure, temporary accommodation – 0208 696 0023, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ashiana: refuges, advocacy and counselling which specialises in helping Black and Minority Ethnic women, in particular, women from South Asian, Turkish & Iranian communities who are impacted by domestic violence, sexual violence, childhood sexual abuse, as well as women and girls who have experienced any form of Harmful Practice including forced marriage, honour based violence and female genital mutilation.
- Freedom Charity: aims to brings awareness, help and support with regards to forced marriage, dishonour based violence and female genital mutilation (FGM). Their helpline is available on 0845 607 0133. They also offer text message support - text the words 4freedom: to 88802. The Freedom Charity App offers help, assistance and instruction to anyone at risk of or affected by Female Genital Mutilation, dishonour-based violence and forced marriages.
- Galop: advice and support to people who have experienced biphobia, homophobia, transphobia, sexual violence or domestic abuse. They also support lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer people who have had problems with the police or have questions about the criminal justice system – 020 7704 2040.
- Jewish Women’s Aid: specialist service with a helpline and counselling. The JWA helpline – 0808 801 0500 (9.30am–9.30pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday).
- Latin American Women’s Rights Service: offers advice, advocacy and practical support to Latin American women who are experiencing or have experienced Domestic Violence, Harmful practices or any other form of violence – 020 7324 9805 or 020 7324 9808.
- Solace Women’s Aid: free and confidential Advice service offering specialist short term support (up to a month) to women affected by domestic and sexual violence living in London. Provides immediate advice to women across all levels of risk and can refer on to our other services such as refuge accommodation, longer term advocacy support, counselling or specialist children’s services – 0808 802 5565.
- Tower Hamlets Domestic Abuse One Stop Shop: every Thursday 9.30am – 12.30pm, Whitechapel IDEA Store, 321 Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BU.
- Victim Support Tower Hamlets: provides free and confidential practical and emotional support to victim/survivors of domestic violence, including advocacy, referral and information. The domestic violence does not have to have been reported to the police. 0207 364 7957 – 0808 1689 111 (‘Supportline’ - 24 hr).