In an emergency:
Specialist support available
- Freephone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline: for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf and this can be anonymous: 0808 2000 247.
- Galop: advice and support to people who have experienced biphobia, homophobia, transphobia, sexual violence or domestic abuse. They also support lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer people who have had problems with the police or have questions about the criminal justice system – 020 7704 2040.
- Men’s Advice Line: helpline for male victims of domestic violence: 0808 801 0327 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm).
- Tower Hamlets Domestic Abuse One Stop Shop: every Thursday 9.30am – 12.30pm, Whitechapel IDEA Store, 321 Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BU.
- Victim Support Tower Hamlets: provides free and confidential practical and emotional support to victim/survivors of domestic violence, including advocacy, referral and information. The domestic violence does not have to have been reported to the police. 0207 364 7957 – 0808 1689 111 (‘Supportline’ - 24 hr).
- Rights of Women have two Family Law Advice Lines for women needing advice on domestic violence, abuse and family law. They also have an Immigration Law Line for women who have experienced gender-based violence and need advice on their immigration status.
- The Bright Sky app provides support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know. It offers a UK-wide directory of specialist domestic abuse support services with contact details and is available in English, Urdu, Punjabi and Polish.
- Hestia provide support in 21 refuges across 10 London boroughs for people affected by domestic violence. Please contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 if you need a refuge space.
Queen Mary Support for Students
Queen Mary Support for Staff
- Confidential support, which is independent from Queen Mary
- Accessible via phone, e-mail, instant messaging and website
- No cost to you
- Professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area
- No limit to the number of issues you can get support on
- Faith Regen Foundation: a multi-faith, BAME led charity in Tower Hamlets offering services to women affected by gender-based violence which include: support from a Domestic Violence worker, confidence building workshops, careers guidance, work experience opportunities, ESOL training and accredited vocational training Support is offered primarily to women currently experiencing abuse who are assessed as low to medium risk and those who have experienced gender-based violence in the past – 0207 650 3043.
- DV Assist: help with obtaining Non-Molestation Orders (injunctions), Prohibited Steps Orders, and Occupation Orders: call free on 0800 195 8699.
- DeafHope: domestic and sexual violence support service for deaf communities.
- Chinese Information and Advice Centre (CIAC): part of the ASCENT consortium to provide linguist and culturally sensitive services to survivors of sexual and domestic violence and abuse – 0300 201 1868.
- Asian Women’s Resource Centre (AWRC): domestic violence and advocacy services available in five community languages: Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu – 020 8961 6549/ 5701.
- Jewish Women’s Aid: specialist service with a helpline and counselling. The JWA helpline – 0808 801 0500 (9.30am–9.30pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday).
- Latin American Women’s Rights Service: offers advice, advocacy and practical support to Latin American women who are experiencing or have experienced Domestic Violence, Harmful practices or any other form of violence – 020 7324 9805 or 020 7324 9808.
- Rights of Women: information sheets on a range of issues, including injunctions and navigating the criminal justice system.
- Solace Women’s Aid: free and confidential Advice service offering specialist short term support (up to a month) to women affected by domestic and sexual violence living in London. Provides immediate advice to women across all levels of risk and can refer on to our other services such as refuge accommodation, longer term advocacy support, counselling or specialist children’s services – 0808 802 5565.
- The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC): the UK’s leading national charity offering information and support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse, including physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect – 0808 801 0331 (10am-9pm Monday-Thursday and 10am-6pm on Fridays).
- Women and Girls Network: specialist gender-based violence counselling in some boroughs (including Tower Hamlets) – 020 7610 4678.
- Women’s Trust: free counselling and therapy (including support groups and workshops) for female survivors of domestic violence, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, and other forms of domestic abuse – 020 7034 0303.
Support for those concerned about their behaviour:
- Domestic Violence Intervention Project: programmes for men who want to change their abusive behaviour (can self-refer).
- Respect: helpline for perpetrators of domestic violence – 0808 802 4040 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and webchat available Tuesdays and Thursdays 10am-4pm).